Comparison of the Buckling Resistance of SHS and RHS Profiles
The study contains a great number of numerical models of SHS and RHS profiles loaded by compressive force, bending moment and their combination. Numerical models are investigated by linear buckling analysis (LBA) and geometrically and materially nonlinear analysis with imperfections (GMNIA).
- An overview of imperfections for global and local buckling in EN 1993-1-1 and EN 1993-1-5 is given and various options are compared.
- Practical recommendations for modeling imperfections including a flowchart are provided.
- Linear buckling analysis: IDEA StatiCa Member provides very similar results to Abaqus with a difference below 5%.
- Geometrically and materially nonlinear analysis with imperfections: IDEA StatiCa Member provides very similar results to Abaqus with a difference below 5%.
- This level of deviation is common and well within the range of acceptability.
- Class 4 sections may be safely used by IDEA StatiCa Member with correct imperfection settings.
The full report is attached.
Author: Andreas Müller M.Sc.
Responsible investigator: Prof. Dr. techn. Andreas Taras
ETH Zurich, Institute of Structural Engineering (IBK)