Class 4 cross-sections: slender member plates in Member application
This article is also available in:
The IDEA StatiCa Member application has been developed for the assessment of hot-rolled members mainly. The following remarks about class 4 members are for experienced engineers only.
- For thin-walled members, only geometrically nonlinear analysis with imperfections is suitable.
- If members are class 4, local imperfections of plates should also be applied. The panel imperfection amplitude should be a / 200, where a is the shorter panel span according to EN 1993-1-5, Cl. C.5.
- For members with cross-section class 4, more buckling mode shapes must be considered, and a combination of at least two buckling modes must be used.
- Especially for a model with more analyzed members, several buckling mode shapes have to be selected.
- For more, please also check our verification examples.
Influence of imperfections on the numerical analysis of slender plates: